Sunday, October 01, 2006

The complexities of giving birth ... to a book

Over the past few weeks, I've been going back and forth to ensure that all was running smoothly for the launch of my lates book, Moments. It's one thing to write a book, it takes months, even years to complete and get right, but "producing" a book is a completely different ball game.
Most writers, at least the ones blessed with a big fat contract from a major publisher, don't get to know the intricate details of "making" a book.

They don't have to worry about it. They hand in their manuscript and the publisher takes it from there. What happens between that and the launch of the final book is unknown.
I've had the privilege to learn more about the complexities of editing, designing, laying-out, proofing and printing. I designed my own cover and I had a direct involvement in the interior design, dimensions and even the type of paper being used. It's been a great eye-opener and an educational, hands-on experience.

I've even created and designed my own website and made promotional banners and posters. With all the big major publishing houses competing ruthlessly in the book industry, what's left for smaller, independent publishers is one source, the author himself.
If a writer has the passion, vision and drive to work with whatever littler resources he or she has and make something out of them, then that could be the key to breaking into the bigger market.

It's been happening quiet often lately. The publishing industry, as we know it, is (thank god) changing.

Here in Bahrain we have a great many talents and writers and they produce some top quality works of literature, but no-one - apart from their friends and relatives - knows about their work. This is simply because they fail to realise the potential of their work and are content just getting it printed and then leaving it on their library shelves to gather dust.

If you want to succeed as a writer, to leave your mark, to make a difference, you have to first take your own work seriously, for others to do so too. It begins and ends with the writer; the reader is the linking connection, without which there is no purpose to your work.
A book is like a child. I can't help but make the comparison every time I get asked the question, the first thing anyone says to me when we meet: "How's your book doing?"
"Oh fine thank you," the reply would come. They even end up having their own nicknames, growing into good old mates to those I meet: "Hey, good ole Q doin' alright?"
A book has a name, it has a personality. It grows with you and, dare I say, it reflects who you, as a writer, are.

You have to take it by the hand and guide it through the first days of its life. It begins with the process of love-making with words. Then the conception and carrying for a whole nine months in editing, designing etc that's the really hard bit.

And eventually it's there. And once it's out there in the world, it becomes part of it.

As I return the proofed galley to my publisher, I know that another phase is completed and that I should now brace myself to the next big phase - giving birth!

*Appered in GDN Vol XXIX, NO. 181, Sunday, 17th September 2006

No comments: